Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tasty Tuesday--Mexican Pork Tacos

This weekend, I took a risk. And boy did it pay off! I've never made or tasted pork tacos before but after seeing this delicious post a while back on Our Best Bites blog, I knew I had to make these. Now, it's a little time consuming, but very easy to do. I think the next time I make these, I'll try the first part of the recipe in the crock-pot or we will only be able to enjoy these on the weekend.

Mexican Pork Tacos
Recipe from ourbestbites.com

Ingredients:
3-4 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
Water (to cover pork in pot)
1 onion, halved
4-6 garlic gloves, smashed, peeled
2 Tbls lime juice (1 lime)
2 Tbls red wine vinegar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper to taste
1 orange

Directions:
Place oven rack in the lower middle position and preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Trim pork of fat and cut into 2 inch chunks. Place pork in oven-safe pot, add enough water to cover pork. Add onion, garlic, lime juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, cumin and bay leaves and juice from orange. Toss orange rinds into the pork mixture after juicing. Stir to combine Bring to boil over medium heat. 
Cover pot and transfer to oven. Cook for about 2 hours or until pork falls apart when poked with fork.
When pork is ready, remove orange rinds, onion, bay leaves. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Using slotted spoon, transfer the pork from the liquid to the foil-lined pan and set aside.
Return the pot to the stove and bring liquid to a boil over high heat. Boil 8-15 mintues or until liquid is thickened to about 1 cup.
Meanwhile, shred pork with fingers fork. Drizzle with the liquid. Place under the broiler for 5-8 minutes or until the pork starts to brown. Flip pork over and return to the broiler for another 5 minutes. Serve in warmed corn tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Mexican Pork Tacos
You can actually see the steam coming from these pork pieces!


The kids were a little hesitant to eat them because it was pork, but the flavors were so good--they both ate them right up! I think next time not only will I try it in my crock pot, but I will keep the orange rind out. I think it was a little "over" citrusy for my taste! But it was a definite winner at the dinner table!

Enjoy!


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I think I might reduce the water and slow cooker it.

    ReplyDelete

I love (nice) comments...let me know whatcha think:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...